About six years ago, my husband and I had the house re-roofed. It still looks fantastic. The whole job was completed in a day. It went much better than when my husband and I patched numerous holes. The roofing job was scheduled during the month of August, when the temperatures are mild, with little chance of rain. Several weeks later, just as the early fall rainstorms rolled in, I caught sight of a spot on the ceiling in the dining room. At first, I didn’t pay much attention to it. Over the course of a week, the spot began to darken and grow. After a particularly rainy night, it looked wet. I was suspicious that the roofers hadn’t done the job properly, so I mentioned it to my husband. He check out the spot that night. He hauled out a stool and stood on it to look at the ceiling. He touched the spot with his fingertips, and it crumbled away. A sudden stream of unhappy bees flooded the room. I grabbed the dog and my daughter and fled. I wanted no part of the swarming bees. Unfortunately, I forgot the car keys in my rush. We waited outside, while my husband sealed up the hole he made by stuffing it with a dish towel. This was in now way a permanent solution, but it was good enough until we could get an exterminator out the following morning. The bees had made a huge nest in the attic area above the dining room. Moisture from the hive had caused the dark spot. Unfortunately, the bees could not be relocated safely because there was no way for the worker to capture the queen. To relocate a hive successfully, the queen is needed so that the rest of the colony is willing to follow. There was quite a bit of destruction to our home.